Re: Accepted po-debconf 0.2.2 (all source)

Hi,

At Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:01:32 +0900,
Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> Description-XX_XX.XXX: is a better way to put it.
>
> I gather that older debconf don't understand the Encoding-xx: header.
> We want new Description-whatever to not to go in the way of older
> debconf.

Now I understand what you think.  Introduction of "Encoding-ja: EUC-JP"
type header (in /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.templates) may results in
Description-ja in UTF-8 (or any other encodings other than EUC-JP),
which may confuse old (i.e., current) version of debconf, you think.
It is true; but such confusing situation is limited to combination of
packages with new debconf templates and old debconf package.

However, my opinion is that packages with new header should Depends:
on new encoding-conversion-enabled debconf.  This means that usage
of UTF-8 will not be allowed until new debconf will be available.
I think this is a right limitation.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/