Re: Seeking help to resolve a lintian request

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Daniel Kobras wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 11:09:05PM -0400, Clint Adams wrote:
> > I agree.  Things in Debian don't need to use ltdl.
>
> Are you suggesting we should patch ltdl out of a perfectly working
> upstream source?  A patch that upstream most likely is never going to
> accept?  Just because we don't need it does not mean we should go to
> lengths to get rid of it.

Of course not!  what we should be doing is patching libtool, and
force-refreshing libtool, gettext and other stuff like that to our
up-to-date, fixed, known-good version in all packages.

Pushing that upstream is optional, and obviously not always desireable.

I am not kidding.  We should in fact go to extreme lengths to reduce the
number of braindead hacks in Debian, and that includes libtool.

  Henrique Holschuh