Re: (Possible) menu code rewrite

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 19:39, Joey Hess wrote:
> Sebastian Rittau wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 11:32:48AM +0100, Mark Howard wrote:
> >
> > > - galeon, mozilla, lynx, konqueror aren't really obvious names for web
> > > browsers.
> >
> > I actually like GNOME's policy in this regard. It's "Function (App Name)".
> > E.g. "Browser (Mozilla)", "Browser (Galeon)", or "Newsreader (tin)". The
> > names of programs are only of interest for advanced users, who can
> > associate program names with their respective functionality.
>
> I hate it. :-)
>
> Luckily , this is the kind of thing that should be easy to configure on
> a per-windowmanager and also per-user (or group or whatever) basis, and
> already is easily done with the existing menu system. You can add a
> general_name to menu entries, and make the menu-methods file make the
> item be "$general_name ($entry)" when there is a general_name, and not
> otherwise.

this is solved in the .desktop format (the one used in GNOME 2), via the
GenericName property in the .desktop file format:

 [Desktop Entry]
Name=gThumb
Name[de]=gThumb
GenericName=Image Viewer
GenericName[it]=Visualizzatore Immagini
Comment=View and organize your images
Comment[it]=Vedi e organizza le tue immagini
Exec=gthumb
Terminal=false
Type=Application
X-GNOME-DocPath=gthumb/gthumb.xml
Icon=gthumb.png
Categories=Application;Graphics;
Encoding=UTF-8

so I guess WMs/desktops could just show whatever they prefer, based on
the user level or role, as is being discussed.

cheers