Re: (Possible) menu code rewrite

Sebastian Rittau wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 11:32:48AM +0100, Mark Howard wrote:
>
> > - galeon, mozilla, lynx, konqueror aren't really obvious names for web
> > browsers.
>
> I actually like GNOME's policy in this regard. It's "Function (App Name)".
> E.g. "Browser (Mozilla)", "Browser (Galeon)", or "Newsreader (tin)". The
> names of programs are only of interest for advanced users, who can
> associate program names with their respective functionality.

I hate it. :-)

Luckily , this is the kind of thing that should be easy to configure on
a per-windowmanager and also per-user (or group or whatever) basis, and
already is easily done with the existing menu system. You can add a
general_name to menu entries, and make the menu-methods file make the
item be "$general_name ($entry)" when there is a general_name, and not
otherwise. Or perhaps better, use the existing hint field for this, so
if the hint makes a submenu, you get "$hint ($entry)", and otherwise you
get a $hint submenu with $entry in it. (Our hint names are worded wrong
to really do this though).

--
see shy jo