Re: (Possible) menu code rewrite

Em Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:51:43 +0100, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> escreveu:

> > That's why xsu, gnome-sudo and gksu (gksudo on the same package) were
> > created, I guess..
>
> That wasn't what I meant. I wouldn't want to be asked for my user
> password when my menus were building, regardless of whether it was
> presented to me in a terminal window or in a graphical widget. sudo
> requires a password to tell you what you can do with it (-l), and I
> wouldn't guess that the X-based alternatives you mention have bypassed
> that.

Sure, sorry, I misundertood... ok, so what I suggest is:

We have a standard way of calling programs that require root, supose
we have a script called 'run-as-root'.

This script will check the existance of a configuration option on which
one, x-su or x-sudo, should be callled to run root-requiring programs.

x-su and x-sudo are alternatives for programs providing this kind of
service. (Notice that 'x-su' is just a name, we could change it to something
that makes a bit more sense or remove the 'x-' thing if we are to support
non-X things)

If sudo or su fails the 'frontend' should deal with this and tell the
user what happened. If the user is not allowed to run a program with
sudo, well, he's not allowed. He'll have to use a 'su'-like program
for that one. If this is the case he'll probably use su-like programs
for all other apps, as he has the root passwd anyway.

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian: <http://www.debian.org> * <http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br>