Re: (Possible) menu code rewrite

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 04:01:56PM +0200, David Schmitt wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 11:32:48AM +0100, Mark Howard wrote:
> > * Novice settings
> > This is probably an idea for the future, rather than to be implemented
> > straight away.
> > When installing the menu, (or more likely, when installing Debian),
> > there should be an option for 'Novice user'.
> > Then, the menu system should be made very simple, removing a lot of the
> > choices. For example, a typical entry might be
> > Internet/Web Browser
> > hint: This will let you look at www pages.
> > Perhaps this could be linked to etc/alternatives.
> > Very few developers will be interested in this, however it could be very
> > useful for people who are using computers for the first time
> > (DebianJr?). If they want a web browser, they will look for web browser

I don't think removing choices is a good idea. At home, I have several web
browsers installed and each child has their favourite for their own personal
reasons.

> > - galeon, mozilla, lynx, konqueror aren't really obvious names for web
> > browsers.

The (planned) Junior/ menu improves on this situation by simply reducing the
total number of entries in the Junior/Internet category.

> > I believe many of the "Why linux sucks"/"top 500 things wrong with
> > linux/computers today" suggests this sort of menu, however I can't find
> > a link at the moment.
>
> http://people.trustcommerce.com/~adam/top10/wrong.html#4
>
> "There should be an "I want to..." dialog. It should be a large icon on
> the desktop which is very obvious to any user. Clicking it will open the
> dialog. At the top is written the text, "I want to..." and below are a
> long list of things that you can do with your system."

Not a bad idea, as long as it doesn't mean sacrificing choice in the
process.

Ben