Re: install impressions

* [martin f krafft]

> i just pulled up a new system with a local mirror of the debian
> archive. i opted against tasksel and dselect because i usually just
> apt-get as i need it. there are two things that really should not
> have happened:

Well, I guess that if you say "no" to user friendliness, you can expect
the system to be not quite as forgiving?

> apt-get install gnome installs gnome, but no xserver-common or
> xserver-xfree86. gnome is no big use without an xserver, is it?
> (unless, of course, you have an xterm farm).

So, as you say in your parenthesis, it's not really a dependancy, but
rather a recommended nice thing to have.  While this might warrant a
"recommends" or "suggests", apt-get ignores those fields anyway, so it
wouldn't make much of a difference.

> installing the xserver packages did not pull xfonts-base onto the
> system, so startx/xdm failed with "could not open default font
> 'fixed'". that's also not an easy problem to get around for people who
> don't know the field that well...

This one I'm not so sure about, but it might be possible to make the X
server grab its fonts from a font server running on another computer.
This, as above, would make locally installed X fonts a nice thing to
have in most cases, but not a hard dependancy.

A trick I've used in the past is apt-getting task-x-window-system, or
what they call it these days.  Allows me to get what I need without
taking a way the "I don't need no steenkin' tasksel, cause I Know What
I'm Doing" feeling.  ;)

Oystein
--
If it ain't broke, don't break it.