Re: RFC init.d actions [force-]reload and non-running programs

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 05:27:22PM -0400, Phillip Hofmeister wrote:
> Reload to me implies a re-read of a config file, not restarting a daemon.

this is the difference between reload and force-reload. Force-reload is (by
policy) allowed to restart the service, if the servie does not allow reload
on the fly.

> If I have connections on a daemon that I don't want to reset I should be
> able to use reload without taking the service down (if the service supports
> reload).

this is why the option is called reload, not force-reload. I am only talking
about the sematic of rorce-reload and restart in case of a not running
daemon.

> Restart implies killing the process and restarting it.  If there is
> no processes running when a restart or reload is called then an exit code
> should be returned.

This would mean a major change in all debian daemon packages, for no real
good reason. If I restart a servie i expect it to run afterwards.

Greetings
Bernd