Re: RFC init.d actions [force-]reload and non-running programs

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 at 10:25:53PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> i.e. i propse that restart may start the daemon if it was not running and i
> propose that force-reload can act like restrat, or it can fail with an exit
> code, depending on the method it is implemented.

Reload to me implies a re-read of a config file, not restarting a daemon.
If I have connections on a daemon that I don't want to reset I should be
able to use reload without taking the service down (if the service supports
reload).  Restart implies killing the process and restarting it.  If there is
no processes running when a restart or reload is called then an exit code
should be returned.  If there is no process running when a force-restart
is called no exit code should be returned and the process should be started...

just my 2 cents...

--
Phil

PGP/GPG Key: