Re: mount message unclear

On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 20:33, Mark Howard wrote:
> > No. Basically, mount asks the kernel to mount something, and the kernel
> > says "didn't work". So mount, being helpful, gives you a list of things
> > that could have gone wrong.
>
> ok. The kernel will say "didn't work", but surely it must be possible to
> run another script on failure to look into the possible reasons. For
> example, it might take a look at the fs & try to guess what filesystem
> it actually is. Also, it may be useful to repeat what parameters were

The rules for what mounts are allowed and not allowed varies
considerably depending on kernel version. eg. the latest kernel version
supports mounting the same file system in different places or mounting
multiple file systems to the same point (although only the last file
system mounted can be seen).

So maybe you could make guesses, but if your guess is wrong, and if the
kernel rules are different then expected, the output could be confusing.

The proper fix would be to alter the system call so it can return more
verbose information on what went wrong, but I don't expect to see this
is a hurry....
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>