Re: mount message unclear

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 01:22:07PM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
>        or too many mounted file systems

> Can't this message be refined a little?  Is there really no way to
> tell the user a slightly more informative answer?

> If someone feels this is important please file a bug for me.  I am not
> ready to report bugs yet.

I happen to agree that this message is unclear, or rather, misleading.
When I'm debugging an NFS mount problem, about the last thing I want to
see on my screen is a "helpful" error message telling me "wrong fs type,
bad option, bad superblock, or too many mounted file systems" (it has
never been any of the above).  Either the error message should be
properly fleshed out in recognition of the fact that *other* things can
be wrong, or the enumeration ought to be dropped entirely in favor of a
reference to a manpage (or other documentation).

However, since I don't know what an authoritative list of potential
problems would be, rather than filing a bug report I'd like to entertain
discussion here on the list.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer