Re: 0.01-6 > 0.1-3 ?????

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 02:34:20PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > Whatever happened to the idea of using the '~' character
> > > for "pre" versions?  E.g., 2.0 << 2.1~pre4 << 2.1~pre5 << 2.1
> > It died, as most attempts to do anything with far-reaching implications
> > tend to do.  It's still a good idea IMO..
>
> Actually a patch got sent to the BTS with appropriate explanation (93386),
> and when the dpkg maintainers decided they were satisfied with it, they
> added it to CVS. This happened to be for dpkg 1.10.0 which is stuck in
> CVS until woody's release.

I do recall Adam(?) saying the patch was reasonable, but the discussion
also pointed out that similar patches were needed for apt and other tools,
which have not been made.  The discussion has since been lost in the mists
of time, so the efforts died off.

I did not know my patch had been applied to CVS.  I'm glad to hear this,
since it means patches for apt and friends will happen at some point.  =)
This feature's only taken four years since the first time I remember it
being brought up to be implemented.

Here's hoping I was not being prophetic about sarge's release date.  ;)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>     You expected a coherent reply?

<Culus> dhd:  R you part of the secret debian overstructure?
<dhd> no. there is no secret debian overstructure.
<CosmicRay> although, now that somebody brought it up, let's start one
            :-)
<Knghtbrd> CosmicRay - why not, sounds like a fun way to spend the
           afternoon =D