Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On 14 Mar 2002 19:34:40 -0800
tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) wrote:
> It is possible for a joke to be racist *and* funny.  No matter how
> funny it is, that doesn't excuse the racism.

(Various definitions:)
gcide:
     1. Something said for the sake of exciting a laugh; something
        witty or sportive (commonly indicating more of hilarity or
        humor than jest); a jest; a witticism; as, to crack
        good-natured jokes.
     2. Something not said seriously, or not actually meant;
        something done in sport.
Wordnet:
       n 1: a humorous anecdote or remark [syn: {gag}, {laugh}, {jest},
            {jape}, {yak}, {wheeze}]
       2: activity characterized by good humor [syn: {jest},
{jocularity}]       3: a ludicrous or grotesque act done for fun and
amusement          [syn: {antic}, {prank}, {trick}, {caper}, {put-on}]
       v 1: tell a joke; speak humorously; "He often jokes even when he
            appears serious" [syn: {jest}]
       2: act in a funny or teasing way [syn: {jest}]

Okay, look at that. "good-natued"; "sake of exciting a laugh",
"sportive", "good humor", "tell a joke", "funny or teasing".

Those are all "positive" things.

Just because a joke is racial doesn't mean it's racist. Racism is about
attitude and belief, not content. I will NEVER call a joke "racist" if
the person telling it doesn't actually feel or believe that the butt of
their joke is in any way inferior to themselves. It may be racial, it
may even be in bad taste in some circumstances, but it is not RACIST.

Every person I've ever known who has thought otherwise has been a
crackpot, *without exception*. And let's keep in mind here that a) I
worked for/with a "racial minority" for a decent amount of time, and
that half my bloody family is black *and* Jamaican.

\ David B. Harris, Systems administrator   |   http://www.terrabox.com /
/  eelf@sympatico.ca, elf@terrabox.com     |     http://eelf.ddts.net  \
/ Clan Barclay motto: Aut agere, aut mori.  (Either action, or death.) \