Re: Unofficial Debian 'testing' FAQ (was Re: Packages in queue for woody?)

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 05:59:07PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> OK.  I don't know the answer to this.  Perhaps someone could comment
> on this attempt at a summary:

That's pretty right.

> Q) Why is it sometimes hard to get Architecture: all packages into
> testing?
>
> A) If the Architecture: all package is to be installed, it must be
> possible to satisfy its dependencies on *all* architectures. If it
> depends on certain packages which only compile on a limited set of
> debian's architectures, then it can't do that.

An interesting example is php4, which isn't built on arm of hppa. There
are a number of arch: all packages which depend: on php4 (aeromail,
basilix, gcdb, mnogosearch-php, postaci, squirrelmail, wordtrans-web,
sourceforge), and really, there's good reason for them to be arch:
all and to depend: on php4. It's not really clear to me what the right
answer here is.

In the meantime, I've made testing ignore arch:all packages'
installability on non-i386 architectures. It's a gross hack and I'm not
really happy to have made it, but there you go.

Cheers,
aj