Re: forced modification of XF86Config-4 - Bug or Feature?

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 10:11:56AM +0100, Erich Schubert wrote:

> > severity serious
> i agree
> this IS a serious bug.

I join you: this IS a serious bug.  It messed many carefully crafted
configuration even with expert users, I can't think on what could happen
to a novice that has just spent a day figuring out modelines, drm, font
servers and hardware chipsets to push X to the best of its hardware.

debian should take control of the "Files" section, it is sensible since
it depends on packaging choices, but leave the other parts of the config
files be.  There are many other tools to configure X that can do a
better job of what debconf can do (for example hardware detection and
graphical configuration with instant feedback on the choices made).

Maybe the debconf configuration already has an option to turn it off,
but it has not been prompted to me at the last upgrade, when it did mess
up my configuration.

> Or it could just check if there are debconf marks in the config file.
> if there are not, it should NOT be overwritten; if there are, only the
> parts within the marks may be overwritten.

This is sensible, since who is tweaking config by hands edits the file
and can clearly see the comments and be made aware of what's going on.

But what if other configuration tools are thinkering with the X
configuration?  How does this debconf based scripts interact with matrox
powerdesk (package mgapdesk), for example?

I would also like a way to tell debconf what sections of the X
configuration is it allowed to manage.

Bye, Enrico