Re: chkconfig for Debian

* Marcelo E. Magallon <mmagallo@debian.org> [011210 13:46]:
>  IRIX's "registry" is /etc/config/
>  [...]
>  Something like:
>
>  /etc/init.d/myservice:
>
>     if [ $action = start ] && ! chkconfig service ; then
>         exit 0
>     fi
>
>  that is, allow for '/etc/init.d/myservice start' to work even if the
>  configuration says it shouldn't, e.g., '/etc/init.d/myservice --force
>  start'.

Why should this be introduced into debian?

What is to start is coded within the symlinks. And to force an start you
just do /etc/init.d/whatever.

Why introduce complicated systems, when there is no advantage over easy
ones.

If someone wrote an script/program named chkconfig to simulate the syntax of
other distributions/OSes, I could understand it. But why introduce
complicated things slowing other things down instead of using the
generic way?

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link