Re: I hear you...

In article <[🔎] 20011129150157.B3842@svpal.svpal.org>,
Grant Bowman  <grantbow@svpal.org> wrote:
>* Brian McGroarty <brian@robotattack.com> [011129 12:52]:
>> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 10:41:38AM -0800, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
>> > i'd like to see the entire init messages dumped to a logfile. w/o ansi
>> > sequences.
>
>Perhaps a script(1) from /etc/inittab or something?  Could be tricky to
>implement.

Get the source of sysvinit and look at src/bootlogd.c. It does
exactly what we want, but it really needs the TIOCGDEV ioctl which I
never could get into the kernel.

Another option would indeed be something like script(1) which opens
a pty and runs the startup script under that. You could do fancy
things with that like splitting the screen in two using curses
and use the upper window to print 'starting apache : [OK]' and
stuff like that, and the lower window to print out the messages
from the init script itself.

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.