Re: [2001-11-29] Freeze Update

#include <hallo.h>
Anthony Towns wrote on Fri Nov 30, 2001 um 06:54:08PM:

> That's not to say these aren't good questions to be asking: they are. But
> the right time to ask them isn't now, it's after the release is over
> when we have some experience in how all this new stuff actually works,
> and can afford to take some time and develop new software to make the
> whole process work better.

More or less experience, but:

 - how to you make sure that package do not build dependency chains, so
   they can be extracted out of Sid and be taken to Woody
 and
 - how can I maintainer tell to FTP master or their scripts that _this_
   version is to be frozen, and the newer versions are allready
   experimts with new features and not meant for testing? AFAICS there
   is no such interface between maintainers and FTP maintainers.

> [0] Archive bloat, incorrectly targetted uploads causing the same problems
>     Adrian's worried about, difficulty autobuilding.

I see trouble, sooner or later. You would have to invest lots of time for
testing, checking changelog, and you cannot still be sure. A "frozen"
fork would solve at least the dependency chain problem, and people could
backport their bugfixes (for unreported or reported bugs) to the frozen
packages. The current scheme looks like a kludge for me (sorry).

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Profitip No. 413:
Zeit sparen durch Rebooten im Hintergrund.