Re: A language by any other name

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 08:59:52AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> never thought i'd see american cultural imperialism on the debian lists.
>
> spelling is important - which is why i will never deliberately mis-spell
> words just so that they are more familiar to american audiences. if the
> reader can't cope with minor regional variations in spelling then they
> don't deserve to read what i've written.

"I will use my language, and any who can't understand it doesn't deserve
to read it"? That's _very_ imperialistic.

> >   therefore the alias for English should be en_US.
>
> en_GB is more appropriate - it is, after all, the home of the english
> language.

So French, Spanish and Portugese should be fr_IT, es_IT and pt_IT, because,
of course, Italy is the original home of all the Romance languages?

> you americans are running a forked version...and as any free software
> person should know, the name remains with the original, not the fork :)

And when the original people split (as did the people who ran the English
project during the 1700-1800's), then each of them get a new name.

You know, this whole thing is really pointless. Just because English is a
language like most others and has more than one dialect, doesn't mean that
one is suddenly "the" English and some other isn't. That's not the way
languages work. Fix gdm, realize that adding an English alias would be
pointless and controversal, and let the thread die.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I saw a daemon stare into my face into my face, and an angel touch my