Re: Translating Debian packages' descriptions

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 10:11:45AM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> Just a small nitpicks...
>
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 02:17:01AM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> > Hi Raphael,
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 01:59:32PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>

> > With language-specific Packages files, there is no size issue.
> >
> > About the only disadvantage I can think of is that the fallback
> > language would have to be English, and not configurable - but surely
> > that's acceptable. There is no encoding issue either, since AFAIK for
>
> well, it surely is less then optimal. Most Slovaks would want
> fallback to Czech version, and I imagine vice versa is also true.
> (and Ukrainians and Belorussians may want fallback to Russian -
> and now you have an encoding issue as well)
>
> Of 8 friends of mine that are using debian, I know that:
> 2 would want fallback hungarian->slovak->czech
> 1 would want fallback lithuanian->slovak->czech->russian
> 1 would want fallback slovak->hungarian->czech
> the rest would want fallback slovak->czech
> I prefer original English version
>
> nice statistics :-)

Sure, that would be great. But, AFAIK, no i18n mecanism can handle that for
now. Feel free to fill a wishlist bug report against gettext.

It may also be that I misunderstood your mail, and that this feature exists
somewhere. If it's the case, please be patient with me, and give me some
pointers.

Thanks, Mt.