Re: Summery [was OpenOffice]

Hi guys

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 10:30:11AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
><snip>
>> The next point is the JDK.
>> The build of OpenOffice will depend on Suns JDK >= 1.2, but this is a
>> problem. This was discussed at the beginning of the february of this year.
>> JDK >= 1.2 is highly non-free (Stephen [gibreel@pobox.com]), so, if debbuild
>> OpenOffice, we could only upload it to contrib.
>> Kaffee will support all the functions of JDK, but seems to be to buggy for
>> it. Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> and Jeffry Smith
>> <smith@missioncriticallinux.com> reported, that OpenOffice built fine
>> without Java and worked fine, too.
>> They didn't miss any functions.
>Note that the official OpenOffice installer which you get when you
>download the binaries from www.openoffice.org gives you the possibility to
>install without java support. Therefore, I suspect that certain features
>in OpenOffice are using java (else you wouldn't need it for the build),
>but that these are features that are being used very rarely, so it should
>work without.

Right, I thinks so

>> What would we do, try with or without Java.
>>
>> In my opinion, we should, if we want Java, build OpenOffice with Kaffee, so
>> we are able to upload OpenOffice to main. :)
>> It is under GPL, so it has to be there IMHO :) !
>Is kaffe JDK1.2 compatible?

I don't know. I don't have not enough java- experience to check, and there
aren't any files under /usr/share/doc/kaffe who tell us something about it
:(.

>> Last but not least, Wouter asked, if we could create a special mailinglist
>> for OpenOffice. Martin "Joey" Schulze will create us an unofficial
>> mailinglist, if we want to?
>> I will ask him then.
>Great (although I won't have the time to help any more, since I've got
>exams at the end of the month. Maybe after those...)

Oh fine.. :)

We will take some (long) time.... :)

	regards
			Jan
--
One time, you all will be emulated by linux!

----
Jan- Hendrik Palic
Url:"http://www.billgotchy.de";
E-Mail: "palic@billgotchy.de"