Re: Summery [was OpenOffice]

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Jan-Hendrik Palic wrote:

<snip>
> The next point is the JDK.
> The build of OpenOffice will depend on Suns JDK >= 1.2, but this is a
> problem. This was discussed at the beginning of the february of this year.
> JDK >= 1.2 is highly non-free (Stephen [gibreel@pobox.com]), so, if debbuild
> OpenOffice, we could only upload it to contrib.
> Kaffee will support all the functions of JDK, but seems to be to buggy for
> it. Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> and Jeffry Smith
> <smith@missioncriticallinux.com> reported, that OpenOffice built fine
> without Java and worked fine, too.
> They didn't miss any functions.

Note that the official OpenOffice installer which you get when you
download the binaries from www.openoffice.org gives you the possibility to
install without java support. Therefore, I suspect that certain features
in OpenOffice are using java (else you wouldn't need it for the build),
but that these are features that are being used very rarely, so it should
work without.

> What would we do, try with or without Java.
>
> In my opinion, we should, if we want Java, build OpenOffice with Kaffee, so
> we are able to upload OpenOffice to main. :)
> It is under GPL, so it has to be there IMHO :) !

Is kaffe JDK1.2 compatible?

> Last but not least, Wouter asked, if we could create a special mailinglist
> for OpenOffice. Martin "Joey" Schulze will create us an unofficial
> mailinglist, if we want to?
> I will ask him then.

Great (although I won't have the time to help any more, since I've got
exams at the end of the month. Maybe after those...)

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"
  -- from the movie "Antitrust"