Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 10:39:02AM +0300, Matti Airas wrote:
> <package> tells whether a specific package is installed. rpm -qi

dpkg -l, dpkg -s

> <package> gives info about the package, -ql lists the files and so on.

dpkg -L

> dpkg -l <package>, however, gives a nasty, bastardized formatted
> output, which always seems to truncate version numbers in the middle.

COLUMNS=190 dpkg -l

> Furthermore I've never been able to find a way to see the description
> of an installed package on the command line. Though it's just me, I'm
> sure. :-)

dpkg -s

you really should rtfm...

> Apt-get, while developed for Debian, is already used on several
> RPM-based distributions (Conectiva, Mandrake) as well, so it is not
> really a packaging format issue. ... although I miss it every single
> second when maintaining any Red Hat server at work...

apt-get doesn't work as well on rpm systems though.

> The point I'm trying to make is, that while dpkg is in itself a viable
> and good package format (which I personally DO prefer over rpm), some
> conformance is good. As it is now, Debian is in danger of getting
> isolated, especially in commercial environments.

since when did we give a damn about commercial environments?

there is no need for us to follow herd (not hurd) mentality here.

> I think that might be an unrealistic goal. I think it's better to
> embrace and extend, i.e. to provide a toolset to transparently install
> rpm packages with 'alien' and 'dpkg' on a dpkg based distribution.

that is a reasonable thing to do, but we should not go further then
that.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/