Re: Virtual packages for shared libraries?

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 11:55:08AM -0400, Camm Maguire wrote:
> Greetings, and thanks for your reply!  Please let me see if I
> understand.
>
> Right now, I have packages atlas2-{base,p3,athlon}[-dev] which have
> 'Provides: atlas2' in control.  The shlibs.local file has simply
> 'libatlas 2 atlas2', etc.  In addition, there is a package atlas-test
> which has 'Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}' in control and is correctly
> filled in with 'atlas2' on package build.  And any of the
> {base,p3,athlon} packages are fulfilling this dependency of atlas-test
> on my test installations.  Note that all version numbers have been
> omitted, as, as you state and the policy manual mentions, versioned
> dependencies are never fulfilled by virtual packages, and Provides can
> never specify a version.

i hope to have correctly understood your problem: you want your program
to be able to switch from a library A to library B. A and B are both
binary compatible, right?

why not make your program depend on atlas2-p3|atlas2-athlon? if you
make .shlibs files accordingly, also others building their software
with these libraries will be able to use one library or the other.

cheers

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50