Re: Virtual packages for shared libraries?

Greetings, and thanks again!

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net> writes:

> Previously Camm Maguire wrote:
> > 1) Is this setup OK?  I.e., can I just have atlas2 in shlibs.local?
> >    My plan is to change the soname whenever backward compatibility
> >    breaks, so I really don't need the source version -- the soname is
> >    in the virtual package name.
>
> That's ok.

OK

> > 2) My real question pertains to search directories.  These packages
> >    also provide libblas.so.2 and liblapack.so.2, but no naming
> >    convention/-soname= compile option that I'm aware of will allow
> >    these libs to coexist with the versions supplied by blas and lapack
> >    together in the same /usr/lib directory.  As I wanted people to be
> >    able to switch the libs at runtime without recompiling, I stuck
> >    them in /usr/lib/atlas.  So these packages 'provide' blas and
> >    lapack ONLY when LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set at runtime.  Is it still OK
> >    to list these provides, and make a note in README.Debian?
>
> No, you can't do the provide here.

What if the package added a line to /etc/ld.so.conf and ran ldconfig,
so the provides would be transparent to the user?  It just seems that
we need a good way of indicating that two different packages provide
compatible versions of the same library.

Take care,