Re: GCC 3.0 status?

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Harald Dunkel wrote:
> > Just a suggestion: What's about installing gcc 3.x and all related files
> > in another directory, e.g. /opt/gcc3, using the standard executable
> > names?
>
> You completely missed the point :). Installing both compiles has always
> been possible (apt-get install g++-3.0 and you're done). The problem
> is that you can not use g++-3.0 to build packages since you are mixing
> different ABIs then.

Of course I _have_ gcc 3.0 installed. But I can't use it without redefining
a lot of variables in all Makefiles, cause the compiler names are mixed up.

My suggestion was to install all files and executables for gcc 3.0
in /opt/gcc3 instead of /usr, to make sure that the ABIs are _not_ mixed.
(I am using 'gcc 3.0' as the name of the whole compiler set, not just for
the C compiler.) There is no need to artificially rename g++ into g++-3.0
then.

Regards

Harri