Re: traceroute /usr/bin -> /usr/sbin

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Joost Kooij wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 09:06:01AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> > Adrian Phillips wrote:

> > > [but then whoever said AIX is Unix :-)]

> > Maybe IRIX is not so unusual:

> > On AIX 4.3:

> > # which ifconfig
> > /etc/ifconfig

> So we have one example where people disagree that it is still unix
> and another one where people disagree over if it ever was unix.

And here we are worrying about whether Debian GNU[1]/Linux follows the trend
(not the standard) established by other Unices. Ho hum.

> Meanwhile, every serious unix has always had /usr/sbin/traceroute.

Are some of these serious Unices the same ones that have only added passable
shared library support within the past 2,3 years?

Meanwhile, Debian has its own standards which it's expected to follow.  These
are documented in Policy.  Policy references the FHS.  There is a widely-held
opinion that FHS mandates traceroute's placement in /usr/bin.  If people agree
that FHS says /usr/bin/traceroute, but disagree that Debian should follow
this, then the appropriate course of action is to get either Policy or the FHS
changed.  Ignoring the parts of Policy that one disagrees with is *not* the
developer's prerogative.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

[1] does "GNU's Not Unix" ring a bell with anyone?