Re: METIS package

"Eray Ozkural (exa)" <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> The metis package was rejected by the Debian Installer because of
> the license. However, it was discussed here that we could distribute
> it under non-free since I have already taken permission for
> redistribution.
>
> ------------------
>
> [I don't know if my reply to debian-installer went through, here is
> my original reply]
>
> Yes, we need permission for redistribution. The author of the package,
> George Karypis, has personally granted me permission for redistribution
> of metis on behalf of Debian GNU/Linux distribution.

     See Section 8 of the DFSG:

  8. License Must Not Be Specific to Debian

     The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's
     being part of a Debian system. If the program is extracted from Debian
     and used or distributed without Debian but otherwise within the terms
     of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is
     redistributed should have the same rights as those that are granted in
     conjunction with the Debian system.

     I is doubtful if permission granted you for redistribution on
behalf of Debian would satisfy Section 8.  Has it been discussed on
debian-legal?

Bob
--
   _