Re: How to deal with svgalibg1 | svgalib-dummyg1 and recent debhelper

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 01:54:54PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Wichert pointed out to me that the substvars format is not documented
> *at all*. Show me some documentation of it.

>From dpkg-gencontrol(1):

       Variables can be set using the -V common option.  They can
       be also specified in the file debian/substvars  (or  what-
       ever  other  file is specified using the -T option).  This
       file consists of lines of the form  name=value.   Trailing
       whitespace  on  each line, blank lines, and lines starting
       with a # symbol (comments) are ignored.

(In the same manpage, the first hit for "substvars" will tell you
which variable names are used by dpkg-shlibdeps.)

> > In other words, I suggest to Joey that he puts this "automatically
> > determined substvars data" in a documented location, so that it
> > can be massaged between the dh_shlibdeps and dh_gencontrol steps.
>
> Massaging after the fact should really not be necessary. It should be
> possible to make correct substvars info be generated through the use of
> shlibs.local files or whatever. Shouldn't it?

Nope, the svgalib case is a genuine exception.  Only the svgalib
library package knows the right dependency to put in its shlibs
file, but only package being built knows if an alternate dependency
on svgalib-dummy is warranted.

The most straightforward way for the package being built to construct
its shlibs line is to first run dpkg-shlibdeps to get the entry for
libsvga, and then modify that.  Playing with shlibs.local begs the
question, because then you first have to find out what shlibs entry
to use, and dpkg-shlibdeps is the best way to get that information.

(The reason this case is unusual is that it is necessary to add
an _alternate_, not an extra dependency.)

--
Richard Braakman
Looking for a job writing free software.