Re: An ex-Windows, now-Debian newbie comments.

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 07:58:14PM -0700, Tony Godshall wrote:
> IMHO, and perhaps this goes without saying, if this is done
> it should "joe user"  (i.e. stable) if and only if we can get
> it to the point where failure to start the graphical splash can
> reliably and automacially fall back to a plaintext startup.  It
> should not be put in stable unless it can be shown to run properly
> (i.e.  without locking up the video) with almost all video cards
> in common use, regardless of how sexy it makes Debian look.

I have a shit non-fb video card, however a simple test in /proc or /dev to
establish whether it's a framebuffer card or not, and then decide whether
to boot LPP or plain, could do the trick.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone		<daniel@kabuki.openfridge.net> <daniel@kabuki.sfarc.net>