Re: Any Old Port In A Storm

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 05:09:43PM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
> I'd be happy to see /etc/services and /etc/protocols in sync
> with IANA registerated numbers first. Debian specific
> port registry sounds evil.

It seems that instead of thinking about it I should have looked in
/etc/services :)  We already have a section that starts with:

#
# Services added for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution
#

It would be nice to encourage Debian developers to register their
packages there.

I don't think it would be evil to have a Debian specific registry
for Debian specific ports, i.e. ones where we've changed the upstream
values to avoid conflicts.

Note that IANA doesn't actually register the high ports, it just
documents existing practice -- just like we would do.  We might be
able to do a good thing by feeding our list to IANA, but I suspect
that IANA would want to hear these ports from the upstream developers.
In that case we could do almost as good a thing by encouraging
those developers to contact IANA.

--
Richard Braakman
Looking for a job writing free software.