Re: Any Old Port In A Storm

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 11:02:49PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> Bah!  Any port over 1024 is fair game, that's the point of low port numbers.
> 8??? is a very standard HTTP alternate port and you are within your rights to
> be there.  It is the admins job to juggle ports when he tries to install a
> collection of things that do not play nice.

On the other hand, isn't that part of system integration, which is
Debian's job?  Lots of things that are traditionally the admin's job
are made easier by Debian policies.

I think it would be good to create a Debian ports registry, which
would be a central place to collect and present information about
which ports are used by default by which packages.  Its role would
be similar to the registry of allocated userids.

I'm trying to think of good ways to collect such information in
the first place.  It would be best if the raw data is supplied
by the package maintainers directly, and can be updated by them
when it changes.

--
Richard Braakman
Looking for a job writing free software.