Re: debhelper 3.x for potato available?

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 03:31:57PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> These backports are becoming increasingly difficult because more and
> more packages begin to rely on debhelper 3.x. There are issues
> regarding suid binaries and man pages since the way debhelper handles
> these changed with debhelper 3.x. We usually fix the suid cases
> manually and remove the man pages.

The problem is that many developers are lazy :-)
Seriously, I know the problem cause I build package for unstable but the
big "audience" for my package come from potato and rebuild the package
from the sources.
The reason of the dep on debhelper 3.x is that dh_make defaults to the
3.x debhelper tools in debian/rules.
But in all of my package I've changed in debian/rules to "export
DH_COMPAT=3" in place of "2" and changed from "dh_installman" to
"dh_installmanpages" and all works well, you may try the same with your
package even if the maintainer did not package them with the potato
rebuild in mind.

Note that almost all of my package use a little subset of debhelper
tools and nothing about heavely use of debhelper 3.x options, so I don't
know nothing about heavy incompatibility or difference between 2.x and
3.x.

Cheers.

--
Stefano "Zack" Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it> ICQ# 33538863