Re: A Hurd user can mount loop device...

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 12:21:09AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Joey Hess wrote:
> > No, he's not. If you've never seen a bad filesystem image crash (or at least
> > oops) the linux kernel, I envy you. :-/
>
> That's a kernel bug anyway and not really relevant to this discussion
> imho. I'm assuming BugFree kernels here :)

In fact, both are correct. There is no such thing as a bug free kernel.
The deeper connection between the two is that the user can try to run *any*
binary as a filesystem, not only trusted programs. As Neal said, this
requires some special precaution to protect against faulty software. As Wichert
said, this requires some careful security model.

Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de