user can't mount loop device...

I've run into a security bottleneck that interferes with desired use of
unprivilaged user diskspace.

I want User to be able to mount a file image, owned by User, on a mount
point, also owned by User, but most of the tools aren't available to User.

I suppose I can assign User to the group with read/write permission to
/dev/loopN which should give User access to all three elements of the
mount.

The stopper is that neither losetup, nor mke2fs are executable by User.
Can I pull the same group permission "magic" as described for the loop
device, and make them setgid, to gain access by User?

I'm a bit confused as to why losetup and mke2fs can't be used by User if
User has read/write permission to the components being utilized. Why may
only root execute them?

TIA,

Dwarf