Re: translated templates files

On 26 Jan 2001, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:

> Neither am I, but some standards seemingly don't give much of a hoot
> about what other standards say.

> On language codes the HTML 4.01 spec says:

>   6.8 Language codes

>   The value of attributes whose type is a language code (
>   %LanguageCode in the DTD) refers to a language code as specified by
>   [RFC1766], section 2.  [...]

>   Language codes are case-insensitive.

> Then RFC1766 says:

>   The following registrations are predefined:
>      In the primary language tag:
>      - All 2-letter tags are interpreted according to ISO standard
>        639, "Code for the representation of names of languages" [ISO
>        639].

> And ISO 639 then says:

>   Technical contents of ISO 639:1988 (E/F)
>   Code for the representation of names of languages

>      Two-letter lower-case symbols are used

> I guess it all depends on which piper's tune you care to dance.

And since the HTML 4.01 spec only governs the use of language codes within the
HTML DTD, we should dance to ISO 639. :)  Lower-case for languages codes,
upper-case for country codes -- this is both the convention and the standard.
Note also that templates.fr and templates.FR are two different files in Unix.
If we are lenient in accepting upper-case letters, what happens when both
files accidentally exist?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer