Re: looking for replacement for run (because of critical bug in

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 12:26:10PM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:

> Well, this is a feature that tail on FreeBSD has. If you start it with
> -F, it will tail you the current file like our tail -f. But if know the
> logfile will be rotated, it will notice this and reopen the new current
> one and tail this one. This is a feature that I really miss in GNU tail.

in fact GNU tail does have this feature, its just done a bit
differently:

tail --follow=name --retry /var/log/messages

ive been using this for ages without any problems, works quite nicely
with log rotation, tail just outputs a message saying the file has
been replaced, and follows the new one.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/