Re: What do you wish for in an package manager?

"Dwayne C . Litzenberger" wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm starting work on a new linux package manager.  The idea is to be able to
> replace rpm, dpkg, apt, dselect (backend) with one,written mostly from scratch
> and designed to be as simple (code, not features) and clean as possible.  For
> now, the work will be strictly academic, but if it works out, it may evolve
> into future standard package manager.

open up a co-ordination page on sourceforge and start a public design
process. do not stick to a religious idea like "it should be written
in C, or in perl".

if you're really doing it for univ./research institute you will need
some new features, otherwise the tool you're describing is a simple
python/perl wrapper script that provides a common CLI to those tools
that you mention. It would call 'em, UNIX way.

So you need to give more details on what you want to achieve. Having
some concrete goals is very important in this free software enterprise.

> So my question is: What do you wish for in a package manager?

That it isn't just a package manager. It should cook the coffee for me.
More importantly:

    It should be re-usable as a library for implementing packages/modules
    for PLs·

That would make it pretty academic :) As a matter of fact I claimed
to Anthony Towns that I'd rewrite dpkg for a test of skill during
a friendly exchange. That's one of the features I really want
for my future implementation. What do you think?

Thanks,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr