Re: What do you wish for in an package manager?

Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:
> the debian packaging system answered most things i want from a
> packaging system.  what exactly is missing/wrong with the debian
> packaging system that makes you feel the need for wheel reinvention?

I also cannot see anything wrong with the Debian packaging system, but
that is just you and me and perhaps some others.  From an engineering
point of view, true, there is no point in fixing something that is not
broken, but from a researching point of view, trying out new things is
always desirable, because it increases the diversity of our thoughts.

Let's say, what is wrong about the design of cockroaches?  They are
very strong and flexible, capable of surviving almost in any kind of
rough environments.  Cockroaches are perfectly fine creatures.  The
Debian packaging system may also be perfectly fine, but it would most
definitely not be the end of history.  There are rooms for snakes,
birds, dogs, cats, monkeys, Homo Sapiens, and Robo Sapiens.

Sometimes trying out different things are just for fun; besides, it is
his time.  But such activities are important in the long run.  I would
say this to the original poster: go for it, but please do not invent
the same wheels again.  Try something different.

-- Chuan-kai Lin