Re: Boost Windows Reliability!!!!!

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 01:06:53AM +0100, Robert van der Meulen wrote:
> > Quoting Bas Zoetekouw (bas@A-Es2.uu.nl):
> > > Hmm, the debian lists get quite a lot of spam lately. Is there anything
> > > that can be done about this?
> > Close debian-devel for posting by non-subscribers, ask for volunteers who
> > would like to 'moderate' debian-devel, and have them look at the rejected
> > messages and accept them if on-topic.
> > Every mailing list i know has these functions, I was also wondering why we
> > weren't using such a system ;)
>
> Every mailing list software might have these functions, but none of the
> open project mailing lists that I know of do this. linux-kernel, gcc,
> glibc, openldap.
>
> There's a very good reason for this. Not the least of which is the effort
> in keeping it up. Secondly, not all developers use the same email
> accounts. I, for example, have three email accounts from which I post to
> Debian-devel.

A possible solution would be to have two types of subscribers to each list,
let's call them "moderators" and "dontwantspams". "Moderators" get every
message to the list instantly. "Dontwantspams" get messages instantly that
fall in any of these categories:
 a) come from subscribed e-mail addresses,
 b) come from e-mail addresses that have posted successfully at least twice
    before,
 c) contain any one of "Debian" or "potato"/"woody"/whatever in the message
    body.
"Dontwantspams" do get all other messages as well, but with a few hour's delay
-- except if they are canceled by one of the "moderators". If moderators reply
instead of cancel, "dontwantspams" will receive both messages at once.
"Moderators" can also cancel messages if they're already sent to
"dontwantspams", which will mean that subsequent messages from the same
address won't match category b).

Okay, this would probably require major modifications in the mailing list
software, but I guess this is one of the very few moderation methods that
might actually work (and be manageable) without hindering discussion in a big
way.

Regards (and merry Christmas),
  Anne Bezemer