Re: goals for woody ? (Re: Release Date of Woody?)

>>"Joey" == Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

 Joey> Even though I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusions, your
 Joey> logic escapes me. You seem to be saying that:

 Joey> * postinst scripts need to be able to ask questions
 Joey> * thus, debconf cannot be mandatory

	I should not be posting when so sleep deprived. The missing
 part are:
 a) the rationale that is some times given for debconf is that it
    would enable an unattended install, (since unattended installs are
    a high priority item, the reasoning goes, and if debconf can allow
    us to attain that, then debconf must be made mandatory)
 b) I am not sure debconf penetration is at a level where we can
    safely mandate debconf; laudable though the package is.

	I was mixing up these (orthogonal) issues in my rambling and
 slightly incoherent post.

	manoj
about a week behind in sleep
--
 I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas.  I'm
 frightened of the old ones. John Cage