Re: [not OT] Release Date of Woody?

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 09:52:27PM -0500, xsdg wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 02:25:58AM +0100, Jan Martin Mathiassen wrote:
>
> they might want to re-evaluate their self-image because _you_ think they're a geek?

sigh. forget it.

> > if it isn't useful, then it sucks, and it won't be included in debian. also,
> > why create something that isn't useful to us? it's just a waste of time...
> Would a 30-year-old programmer create childrens' software to use it?

he might not use it in a day-to-day situation... he might instead be
creating it for *his* kids. thus, he doesn't use it himself, but his kids
are.

btw, what's with the weird examples?

> > > Not always
> >
> > well, then either the job done sucks, or the package is very new... or
> > highly specialized.
> True, but this still _might_ not be an incentive...

i'm not sure what track you're on right about now, but uh.. when wouldn't
peer recognition for a job well done be an incentive? granted, it might not
be the *only* incentive, but unless <insert person here> is weird, having a
lot of people say "good job, man! i LOVE your util!" will make said person
feel *good* about what he did, and entice him into doing more of the same.

> > > _Definitely not always
> >
> > then what the *fuck* is the point of doing it? if it's not fun, there's no
> > drive. if there's no drive, quality suffers. if quality suffers, things
> > start to suck. bad. if things start to suck, the point of even bothering is
> > gone.

> I'm not sure about you, but I don't find hours and hours of debugging fun, yet I do it.

that depends a lot on my mood. sometimes i find it fun, sometimes i find it
hideously fucking boring... yes, debugging is mostly boring, whereas
programming in and of itself is fun. owning a huge, gorgeous garden is also
fun, yet it's hideously boring to maintain.. the maintenance is needed to
keep a somewhat neat garden... and the same goes for programs.

you can't run around all the time and expect *everything* to be fun. you'll
be horribly disappointed.

> PS: calm down...

...what makes you think i'm not calm?

--
-m

When you are having a bad day, and it seems like everybody is trying to piss
you off, remember that it takes 42 muscles to produce a frown, but only 4
muscles to work the trigger of a good sniper rifle.