Re: [not OT] Release Date of Woody?

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 09:59:19AM -0500, xsdg wrote:
> *Please do not CC me*
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 01:34:04PM +0100, Jan Martin Mathiassen wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 10:09:29PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > As opposed to Debian, where we have no incentive to accomplish anything?
> >
> > you really don't understand how geeks work...
>
> Not only is "geek" a quite ingeneral term, but all of the people

...geek is an ingeneral term in what way? it's a rather limiting term, if
you ask me...

> developing/using Debian (users) do not necesarily consider themselves
> geeks.

granted, not everyone using debian consider themselves a geek, but i'm
pretty sure everyone who develop for debian consider themselves a geek. if
not, then they might want to re-evaluate their self-image.

> In addition, though some will be the same, the incentives of
> all of the users are not exactly the same.

thank you, captain obvious.

> > incentive:
> >
> > 1) we make stuff that's useful to us *and* others.
> Not always

if it isn't useful, then it sucks, and it won't be included in debian. also,
why create something that isn't useful to us? it's just a waste of time...

> > 2) we get peer recognition for a job well done.
> Not always

well, then either the job done sucks, or the package is very new... or
highly specialized.

> > 3) it's FUN, goddammit.
> _Definitely not always

then what the *fuck* is the point of doing it? if it's not fun, there's no
drive. if there's no drive, quality suffers. if quality suffers, things
start to suck. bad. if things start to suck, the point of even bothering is
gone.

--
-m

When you are having a bad day, and it seems like everybody is trying to piss
you off, remember that it takes 42 muscles to produce a frown, but only 4
muscles to work the trigger of a good sniper rifle.