testing "testing" (was: Implementing "testing")

Would it be possible/feasible to set up a script that would run Lint,
SLINT, etc. (Perhaps a pretty printer as well, that checks for
inconsistent white space (which generally implies the programmer meant
one thing and typed another...) ) and then files related bug
reports?  After a successful compile, it could also run the program and
use a memory shaker, and/or software that gives the program random
input, and again files a bug report for any crashes.

This would likely catch a significant number of the common errors and
mistakes that tend to slip through, and would save the wasted human
hours and headaches that would be needed to catch these mistakes
otherwise.

What do you all think?

Tom M.
TomM@Pentstar.com

(PS Please CC me in all replies since I am not subscribed to this list)