Re: goals for woody ? (Re: Release Date of Woody?)

On 19 Dec 2000, Taketoshi Sano wrote:

> Hi.

Hi Taketoshi,

>  3) FHS transition step 2 complete (no package having /usr/doc except symlink).
>
> is required for woody.  I've heard this when the decision was made
> that potato does not need this.

that means that all packages must have completed the FHS transition. There
are currently 813 packages (including non-free and non-US) with a
Standards-Version < 3.0.0 .  If want to change this you'll have to start
filing RC bugs (that would also mean the number of RC bugs will go over
1000...).

> Maybe
>
>  4) correctly having "Build Dependency"
>
> is also required for woody.

It is only required for packages with a Standards-Version >= 3.1.0 . There
are currently 813 packages with a Standards-Version < 3.0.0 and 1190
packages with a Standards-Version 3.0.x - and many people upload even the
initial release of a package with a Standards-Version 3.0.0... If you want
to force all packages using build dependencies you'll have to file at
about 2000 RC bugs...

> Maybe some more, and I assume
>
>  6) 2.4 Linux kernel, if available
>
> is the wishlist one.  But I don't know if this can be available or not.

Already done:
unstable has the environment for kernel 2.4. You can't simply use a
self-compiled 2.4-kernel in potato.

cu,
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi