What are the Woody release goals?

So, the recent discussion on release dates and related issues has made
me acutely aware of my ignorance as a new developer.

We keep telling people that we have release goals.  I don't know them;
this is bad, as it makes it hard for me to work on meeting them.
Also, it is bad because it makes it hard for me to evaluate our
progress.  Finally, there is a certain part of me who wonders to what
extent these goals exist; are we just telling ourselves we have goals
because we know we should have goals and moving forward without a
destination would be foolish?

Where should I have found these goals?  How do I influence the
selection of goals for future releases?

Thanks for enlightenment,

--Sam