webmin, and: Re: Latest Mandrake

Hello,

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 01:48:56PM +0200, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:
> I saw the latest beta of Mandarake last week, and I think it
> surpasses Debian in terms of usability. The thing uses GRUB

I think end-user usability is better in many other Linux
distributions. I do, however, value Debian for having a very
good package management, a better "standard-conformity" w/o
that tendency to really lock people in, and a sense of honestness
and quality in general.

> going to say "Why don't you use Debian?" but for a long moment I
> thought "All right, we suck". What do you think?

It depends... When I'm on my OpenBSD boxen, I sometimes think
"Oh well, this sucks compared to Debian, drop it", and when I'm
on my Debian boxen, I sometimes think "Ok, let's drop Debian and
have OpenBSD". It really depends on what I just want to do at
the moment, and on the mood of the day. Perhaps that is because
most computers suck in more than one way, no matter what software
is loaded, but then you probably can't have everything.

Apart from that I think that these two are probably those I'll
stay with for a few years to come. Debian has a high idealistic
value for me which could essentially only be surmounted by
taking away every X, emacs, latex, ... and leave me with
csh, joe and nroff on a vt52 ;) (That notwithstanding Debian
could be improved).

Btw, what do you think about webmin compared to linuxconf?

I actually don't know linuxconf but think of packaging webmin...

Best Regards,
--Toni++