Re: rrdtool-1.0.27 refuses to build

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 07:54:26PM +0100, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > I have also confirmed that using dpkg-shlibdeps from dpkg 1.7.1.1
> > (current woody) on potato fixes the problem.
>
> Ok, so what you say is I should install dpkg 1.7.1.1 from woody to get
> around these problems.

Correct.  You could also divert the dpkg-shlibdeps in potato, and copy just
that file from the woody version (it's a perl script with no additional
dependencies).  See dpkg-divert(8).  Remember to remove this diversion if you
upgrade to woody.

You could also just copy over dpkg-shlibdeps, but that would result in it
getting wiped out if dpkg is ever upgraded (possibly to a version lower than
1.7.1.1).

But first, see below for a better workaround.

> > I will try to find a way to get the build to work with dpkg 1.6.15,
>
> Yes, dpkg 1.6.15 is what I have installed right now.
>
> > but if I can't, I will not hesitate to require dpkg >= 1.7.0.  The
> > new way is just too much more elegant.
>
> Just let me know if you can get it working with dpkg 1.6.15 (or should I
> just go ahead and install the new and "elegant" dpkg 1.7.1.1?).

I have not been able to get it to work.  ldd simply will not run at all on the
shared object unless all of its runtime dependencies are satisfied.  In this
case, that means that librrd0 must already be installed on the system.  In
fact, that is a suitable workaround for this problem.  First install librrd0
1.0.7-5 from potato, then you will be able to build the rrdtool package without
problems.

--
 - mdz