Re: rrdtool-1.0.27 refuses to build

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 10:23:31PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 02:23:15AM +0100, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
>
> > All right. With tcl8.0-dev in place:
> >
> > # You may want to make some executables suid here.
> > dh_suidregister -a
> > dh_installdeb -a
> > dh_perl -a
> > dh_shlibdeps -a
> > dpkg:  not found.
>
> This looks suspicious.  Please give me all of the relevant information about
> your system (Debian branch, architecture, version numbers of all involved
> packages, etc.)...note that this would already be included if you had reported
> this as a bug against rrdtool, which you should probably do next time you have
> a problem like this.
>
> Please also include the version of dpkg-dev that you are using, as
> dpkg-shlibdeps appears to be failing here.
>
> > [...]
>
> For some reason, ldd is failing to find the library dependencies for RRDs.so
> and tclrrd.so.  The fact that ldd is being used at all means that you are
> probably using an old dpkg (potato?), as the current dpkg-shlibdeps uses
> objdump rather than ldd.
>
> It is possible that some changes I made recently to the build process have
> caused it to stop working with older dpkg versions; I may have to add a
> versioned Build-Depends for this.

I have confirmed that this behavior exists when building 1.0.27-3+ on potato.
I have also confirmed that using dpkg-shlibdeps from dpkg 1.7.1.1 (current
woody) on potato fixes the problem.  I will try to find a way to get the build
to work with dpkg 1.6.15, but if I can't, I will not hesitate to require dpkg

--
 - mdz