Re: rrdtool-1.0.27 refuses to build

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 02:23:15AM +0100, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:

> All right. With tcl8.0-dev in place:
>
> # You may want to make some executables suid here.
> dh_suidregister -a
> dh_installdeb -a
> dh_perl -a
> dh_shlibdeps -a
> dpkg:  not found.

This looks suspicious.  Please give me all of the relevant information about
your system (Debian branch, architecture, version numbers of all involved
packages, etc.)...note that this would already be included if you had reported
this as a bug against rrdtool, which you should probably do next time you have
a problem like this.

Please also include the version of dpkg-dev that you are using, as
dpkg-shlibdeps appears to be failing here.

> debian/librrds-perl/usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux/auto/RRDs/RRDs.so: error
> in loading shared libraries: librrd.so.0: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: ldd on
> `debian/librrds-perl/usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux/auto/RRDs/RRDs.so'
> gave nothing on standard output
> debian/rrdtool-tcl/usr/lib/rrdtool/tclrrd.so: error in loading shared
> libraries: librrd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: ldd on
> `debian/rrdtool-tcl/usr/lib/rrdtool/tclrrd.so' gave nothing on standard
> output

For some reason, ldd is failing to find the library dependencies for RRDs.so
and tclrrd.so.  The fact that ldd is being used at all means that you are
probably using an old dpkg (potato?), as the current dpkg-shlibdeps uses
objdump rather than ldd.

It is possible that some changes I made recently to the build process have
caused it to stop working with older dpkg versions; I may have to add a
versioned Build-Depends for this.

> dh_gencontrol -a
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable
> ${shlibs:Depends}
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable
> ${shlibs:Depends}
> dh_md5sums -a
> dh_builddeb -a
> dpkg-deb: building package `rrdtool' in `../rrdtool_1.0.27-3_i386.deb'.
> dpkg-deb: building package `librrd0' in `../librrd0_1.0.27-3_i386.deb'.
> dpkg-deb: building package `librrd0-dev' in `../librrd0-dev_1.0.27-3_i386.deb'.
> dpkg-deb: parse error, in file `debian/librrds-perl/DEBIAN/control' near
> line 6 package `librrds-perl':
>  `Depends' field, missing package name, or garbage where package name
> expected
> dh_builddeb: command returned error code
> make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
> Build command 'cd rrdtool-1.0.27 && dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc' failed.
> E: Child process failed

This is fallout from the failed shlibdeps calculation.

--
 - mdz